Study in United States

Vocational Training in United States

North America

The United States has many educational opportunities in higher education. The Denmark-America Foundation offers scholarships to students who want to go to the United States. Fulbright Denmark awards scholarships and supervises students who wish to study in the United States. There are also good opportunities to get an internship in the United States.

As one of countries starting with letter U listed on countryaah, the United States consists of 50 states and a number of overseas territories with autonomy, including the West Indies and Puerto Rico. The different states vary greatly in size and population. Texas is one of the largest with an area equivalent to France. From east to west, the country extends over 4 time zones.

The United States is characterized by being an immigrant society, and immigration has historically come in waves. The first immigrants were Britons, Scots and French. Next came Scandinavians, Irish and Italians followed by Jews and other peoples from Eastern Europe and Russia. In recent years, many immigrants have arrived from Asia and Latin America.

Worth knowing

Vocational training in the United States

The USA does not have a vocational education system comparable to the Danish one. Vocational training often takes place at the higher level in colleges, and even with a completed education from here, it often requires further training in a workplace before one is fully educated. In general, the training within vocational training takes place to a large extent in the workplace.

In the USA, almost all young people go directly from primary school after 8th grade to High School, which is much broader than a Danish upper secondary education. The education system has not been divided into colleges, vocational schools, agricultural schools, etc., but everyone goes to High School. At High School, you can then take a number of professionally oriented subjects or artistic subjects, which we do not normally find in Danish high schools, and which in the USA do not point towards admission to a higher education. There are thus many more different subjects at a High School than there are in a Danish high school.

Many Americans receive a skilled education in the military and thus complete their military service as skilled craftsmen.


If you are thinking of taking all or part of your own internship abroad, read the section on internships abroad for vocational education under the section Primary school and upper secondary education

Economics and education

Tuition fees are paid at both public and private educational institutions in the United States. The fees vary from institution to institution. The most expensive cost up to approx. DKK 500,000 a year, where others are somewhat cheaper. Exchange students do not pay tuition fees


As a Danish student, you can in many cases take your SU to the USA. In order for you to get the SU, the American educational institution must be Institutional Accredited and the education Professional Accredited, ie. educational institution and education must be publicly recognized. You can find out more at

Every year, F ulbright Denmark offers a number of scholarships to Danish and American students at master’s level, as well as to lecturers and researchers who want to study or research in the USA or in Denmark.

In Denmark, Fulbright Denmark also offers guidance regarding university education in the USA and Denmark and distributes approx. 35-45 scholarships per year for Danes and Americans on master’s and PhD programs. level as well as to researchers and lecturers.

Foreign students also have the opportunity to apply for scholarships from individual US universities. Application forms will be attached to the general admission documents if requested.

Work in the United States

Foreign students are not allowed to work while studying in the United States. However, it is possible to take part-time work on the campus where you study.

Job search

  • Coolworks Here you can find seasonal work as, for example, a ski instructor or as an employee in national parks, amusement parks or on a ranch.
  • Hcareers Jobs in, among other things, tourism and cruises.
  • ResortJobs Jobs in parks, hotels, ski areas and much more.
  • Career Builder Here you can search for specific keywords and enter your CV.
  • Au Pair in the United States A list of au pair organizations in the United States recommended by the International Au Pair Association.
  • Findjobsnet A search engine with jobs in many different areas, which most often require a specific education. There are many Google ads on the site as well, which can be disruptive.
  • Careerjet

Work-and residence permit

If you are going on a study stay in the USA, you must apply for a visa before entering. Since the terrorist attacks on the United States in September 2001, significant changes and tightening of visa rules have been introduced. The new rules mean, among other things, that you have to calculate even longer time to apply for a visa, preferably over 3 months.

You can get information about visas to the USA at Fulbright Denmark or at the US Embassy in Denmark

Working illegally is strongly discouraged, as it could lead to several years of deportation from the country. Read much more about work permits under Visas, work and residence permits

Study in United States