According to best-medical-schools, Varnville, South Carolina is a small city located in the southeastern region of the state. The geography of Varnville consists mainly of flat terrain with some rolling hills. The climate is subtropical, with hot and humid summers and mild winters. The city has a rich history that dates back to the early 1800s when it was founded by Robert Varn, a wealthy plantation owner. In the years since its founding, Varnville has seen its share of civil unrest and political strife, but today it is considered to be a relatively safe place to live.
The economy of Varnville is largely based on agriculture and manufacturing. There are several large farms in the area which produce corn, soybeans, cotton and other crops. Additionally, there are several factories which produce various products including automotive components and electronics.
The educational system in Varnville is quite good; there are several public schools as well as two private schools that offer excellent academic programs for students of all ages. Additionally, there are two universities located nearby which offer higher education opportunities for those wishing to pursue their studies further.
Several landmarks can be found in or near Varnville that reflect its long history and culture. One such landmark is the Robert Varn House Museum which showcases artifacts from the city’s past including furniture, photographs and artifacts from Robert’s plantation days. Additionally, there is an annual festival held each summer called “Varnfest” which celebrates local artisanship with food vendors, music performances and more! Finally, there are several parks located throughout Varnville where visitors can enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking or biking trails or simply relax under the shade of trees while taking in the beauty of nature around them.
Population: 2,074. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,048 (-1.3% change)
Males: 946 (45.6%), Females: 1,128 (54.4%)
Zip code: 29944
Median resident age: 34.4 years
Median household income: $33,357
Median house value: $73,500
Races in Varnville:
- Black (60.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (38.6%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (9.6%), English (6.1%), German (6.0%), Subsaharan African (3.4%), Irish (2.6%), Scotch-Irish (1.7%).
Elevation: 111 feet
Land area: 3.8 square miles
Varnville, South Carolina is a small town located in the Lowcountry region of the state. It has a population of around 3,000 people and is located in Hampton County. The town is known for its rich history and culture, as it was founded in 1710 by settlers from England. The majority of the population is white, with African Americans making up about 25% of the population. The median age is 35 years old and the median household income is just over $40,000 per year. Education levels are relatively high in Varnville, with nearly 90% of adults having a high school diploma or higher. Additionally, there are two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school within the city limits.
The economy of Varnville relies heavily on agriculture and tourism due to its proximity to Hilton Head Island and other popular beach destinations along the coast. Farming has been a major industry for generations in Varnville; however, it has seen a decline in recent years due to changing weather patterns that have caused crop losses. Tourism has become increasingly important to Varnville’s economy due to its location near popular beaches and attractions such as Hunting Island State Park. Additionally, there are several small businesses located within town limits that provide services such as auto repair shops and grocery stores that help keep the local economy afloat.
For population 25 years and over in Varnville
- High school or higher: 79.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.0%
- Unemployed: 10.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Varnville town
- Never married: 28.7%
- Now married: 48.2%
- Separated: 6.1%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 8.3%
0.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +114 (+5.8%).
Hospital/medical center in Varnville:
- HAMPTON REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (503 CAROLINA AVE WEST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Varnville:
- ALLENDALE COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; FAIRFAX, SC)
- COLLETON MEDICAL CENTER (about 29 miles; WALTERBORO, SC)
- BAMBERG COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; BAMBERG, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Varnville:
- BEAUFORT MCAS /MERRITT FIELD/ (about 37 miles; BEAUFORT, SC; Abbreviation: NBC)
- SAVANNAH/HILTON HEAD INTERNATIONAL (about 52 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; Abbreviation: SAV)
- HILTON HEAD (about 52 miles; HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC; Abbreviation: HXD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Varnville:
- HAMPTON-VARNVILLE (about 2 miles; HAMPTON, SC; Abbreviation: 3J0)
- ALLENDALE COUNTY (about 16 miles; ALLENDALE, SC; Abbreviation: 88J)
- RIDGELAND (about 27 miles; RIDGELAND, SC; Abbreviation: 3J1)
Amtrak station near Varnville:
- 20 miles: YEMASSEE (MAIN ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Varnville:
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; ORANGEBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,971)
- GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 58 miles; STATESBORO, GA; Full-time enrollment: 12,724)
- ARMSTRONG ATLANTIC STATE UNIVERSITY (about 61 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,945)
- SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN (about 61 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; Full-time enrollment: 4,565)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT AIKEN (about 66 miles; AIKEN, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,636)
- TRIDENT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 71 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 5,925)
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 74 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,191)
Public high school in Varnville:
- WADE HAMPTON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 720; Location: 201 AIRPORT ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)