Suttons Bay is a small village in Leelanau County, Michigan, located on the shores of Lake Michigan. The population of Suttons Bay is 1,878 according to the 2017 US Census Bureau. The geography of Suttons Bay consists of rolling hills, vineyards and orchards, sandy beaches and rocky shorelines. The climate in Suttons Bay is typical of northern Michigan with cold winters and warm summers. Check ehangzhou for best time to travel to Michigan.
The history of Suttons Bay dates back to the 1700s when it was inhabited by Native Americans. In the 1800s, it became a major port for ships carrying lumber from the area to other parts of the Great Lakes region. In 1871, it was officially incorporated as a village in Leelanau County.
Politics in Suttons Bay are mostly conservative with a majority Republican vote in local elections. There are several local government offices located within the village boundaries including a mayor’s office and city council members who serve four-year terms.
The economy in Suttons Bay is primarily driven by tourism with many visitors coming to explore its natural beauty and take part in activities like boating, fishing, hiking and camping on Lake Michigan’s shores. There are also several small businesses located throughout the village including art galleries, restaurants, wineries and craft shops.
Suttons Bay has two schools: an elementary school for grades K-5 and a middle/high school for grades 6-12 which serves students from all over Leelanau County. Both schools offer extracurricular activities such as sports teams, clubs and after-school programs that help foster learning opportunities outside of the classroom setting.
Some well-known landmarks in Suttons Bay include Old Settlers Park which features playground equipment and picnic areas; Clinch Park Beach which offers swimming; Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum; and The Village at Grand Traverse Commons which features shops as well as art galleries showcasing works by local artists..
Population: 589. Estimated population in July 2020: 590 (+0.2% change)
Males: 283 (48.0%), Females: 306 (52.0%)
Zip code: 49682
Median resident age: 47.2 years
Median household income: $44,063
Median house value: $144,200
Races in Suttons Bay:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.6%)
- Hispanic (2.7%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Other race (1.0%)
Ancestries: German (24.4%), English (14.8%), Irish (10.7%), Norwegian (9.2%), Polish (7.3%), Czech (5.9%).
Elevation: 180 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Suttons Bay, Michigan is a small town in Leelanau County, located on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. It is home to about 1,000 permanent residents, with a seasonal population that swells to about 5,000. The town is home to a variety of small businesses, including restaurants and shops. The downtown area has been carefully preserved and features many historic buildings.
The cost of living in Suttons Bay is quite affordable compared to other areas of the country. Housing prices are lower than the national average and utilities are reasonably priced. The median home value in Suttons Bay is $204,800 according to Zillow, which is lower than the national median home value of $231,200. Renting an apartment or house in Suttons Bay can be done for under $1,000 per month depending on the size and location of the property. Groceries and other essential items tend to be slightly more expensive due to the small-town nature of Suttons Bay; however, overall costs are still quite reasonable compared to other parts of Michigan or the United States as a whole.
For population 25 years and over in Suttons Bay
- High school or higher: 93.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 34.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.4%
- Unemployed: 4.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Suttons Bay village
- Never married: 21.7%
- Now married: 58.2%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 7.9%
- Divorced: 10.5%
1.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +18 (+3.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Suttons Bay:
- LEELANAU MEMORIAL HEALTH CENTER (about 10 miles; NORTHPORT, MI)
- MUNSON MEDICAL CENTER (about 17 miles; TRAVERSE CITY, MI)
- CHARLEVOIX AREA HOSPITAL (about 36 miles; CHARLEVOIX, MI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Suttons Bay:
- CHERRY CAPITAL (about 18 miles; TRAVERSE CITY, MI; Abbreviation: TVC)
- OTSEGO COUNTY (about 66 miles; GAYLORD, MI; Abbreviation: GLR)
- PELLSTON REGIONAL AIRPORT OF EMMET COUNTY (about 73 miles; PELLSTON, MI; Abbreviation: PLN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Suttons Bay:
- SUGAR LOAF RESORT (about 12 miles; TRAVERSE CITY, MI; Abbreviation: Y04)
- WOOLSEY MEMORIAL (about 14 miles; NORTHPORT, MI; Abbreviation: 5D5)
- YUBA (about 19 miles; ELK RAPIDS, MI; Abbreviation: 34U)
Amtrak station near Suttons Bay:
- 17 miles: TRAVERSE CITY (3233 CASS ST.) – Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Suttons Bay:
- NORTHWESTERN MICHIGAN COLLEGE (about 19 miles; TRAVERSE CITY, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,343)
- FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 89 miles; BIG RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 8,593)
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY (about 112 miles; MT PLEASANT, MI; Full-time enrollment: 21,353)
- MUSKEGON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 126 miles; MUSKEGON, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,365)
- NORTHWOOD UNIVERSITY (about 134 miles; MIDLAND, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,784)
- LAKE SUPERIOR STATE UNIVERSITY (about 138 miles; SAULT STE MARIE, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,677)
- GRAND RAPIDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 139 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 7,590)
Public high school in Suttons Bay:
- SUTTONS BAY SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 379; Location: 500 S. ELM STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Suttons Bay:
- SUTTONS BAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 429; Location: 310 S. ELM STREET; Grades: PK – 05)
- SUTTONS BAY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 247; Location: 310 S. ELM STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Suttons Bay:
- MONTESSORI CHILDRENS HOUSE SUT (Students: 45; Location: 979 ELM ST; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Suttons Bay:
- SUTTONS BAY AREA DISTRICT LIBRARY (Operating income: $96,051; Location: 416 FRONT STREET; 17,198 books; 1,494 audio materials; 503 video materials; 73 serial subscriptions)