According to 800zipcodes, Slater, South Carolina is a small city of approximately 4,000 people located in the heart of the state. The city is surrounded by forests and rolling hills, with a few small lakes and rivers. The climate is humid subtropical, with hot summers and mild winters.
Slater has a rich history that dates back to the mid-1800s when it was first settled by European settlers. Since then, the city has been a hub of activity for businesses and industry in the area. Politically, Slater is part of South Carolina’s 4th Congressional District and is represented by Republican William Timmons. Economically, Slater has seen an influx of new businesses in recent years as well as an increase in tourism due to its proximity to larger cities like Columbia and Charleston.
The schools in Slater are highly rated and offer a variety of educational opportunities for students. There are several elementary schools as well as one high school that serves the community. The high school offers its students classes ranging from STEM to sports and student organizations such as drama club or chess club. Higher education options nearby include Midlands Technical College or USC-Sumter located just outside town limits.
When it comes to landmarks, Slater boasts several historic buildings including an old courthouse built in 1875 that now serves as a museum featuring artifacts from Slater’s past, as well as a Civil War monument honoring those who fought during the war from both sides. Additionally, there are many parks throughout the city including Mabry Park which features walking trails around its lakefront setting with plenty of picnic tables perfect for an afternoon outdoors with family or friends.
Males: 1,107 (49.7%), Females: 1,121 (50.3%)
Zip code: 29661
Median resident age: 35.7 years
Median household income: $30,898
Median house value: $70,500
Races in Slater-Marietta:
- White Non-Hispanic (90.3%)
- Hispanic (8.0%)
- Other race (2.3%)
- Black (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (31.1%), Irish (5.7%), English (5.3%), German (2.8%), Scotch-Irish (2.7%), Italian (1.8%).
Land area: 4.3 square miles
Slater, South Carolina is a small town located in the Midlands of the state. The population of Slater is estimated to be around 7,000 people, according to the most recent census. The majority of its citizens are African American, accounting for nearly 70% of the population. The remaining 30% is made up of White Americans, Hispanics, Asians and other ethnicities. In terms of age demographics, Slater has a fairly even distribution with about a quarter of its population being under 18 years old and another quarter being over 65 years old. Most people living in Slater are employed either in local businesses or commute to nearby cities for work. Education levels vary with most people having some form of high school diploma or GED certificate. Slater also has a diverse religious landscape with many churches and synagogues representing different faiths. Healthcare options are limited as there is only one hospital located within city limits but there are several clinics that offer medical services on a sliding scale basis to those who cannot afford it. Overall, Slater is a small town that offers its residents an affordable cost of living and a close-knit community atmosphere.
For population 25 years and over in Slater-Marietta
- High school or higher: 54.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 8.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Slater-Marietta CDP
- Never married: 22.0%
- Now married: 52.8%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 8.4%
- Divorced: 13.5%
8.0% Foreign born (8.0% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Slater-Marietta:
- NORTH GREENVILLE HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; TRAVELERS REST, SC)
- SPRINGBROOK BEHAVIORAL HEALTHCARE (about 5 miles; TRAVELERS REST, SC)
- ST FRANCIS HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; GREENVILLE, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Slater-Marietta:
- DONALDSON CENTER (about 22 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Abbreviation: GYH)
- GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG INTL (about 22 miles; GREER, SC; Abbreviation: GSP)
- ASHEVILLE REGIONAL (about 28 miles; ASHEVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: AVL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Slater-Marietta:
- GREENVILLE DOWNTOWN (about 17 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Abbreviation: GMU)
- TRANSYLVANIA COUNTY (about 19 miles; BREVARD, NC; Abbreviation: 22W)
- HENDERSONVILLE (about 20 miles; HENDERSONVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: 0A7)
Amtrak station near Slater-Marietta:
- 14 miles: GREENVILLE (1120 W. WASHINGTON ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Slater-Marietta:
- FURMAN UNIVERSITY (about 9 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,915)
- BOB JONES UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,577)
- GREENVILLE TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 18 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 6,157)
- CLEMSON UNIVERSITY (about 20 miles; CLEMSON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 15,962)
- SPARTANBURG TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 28 miles; SPARTANBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,086)
- TRI-COUNTY TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 33 miles; PENDLETON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,343)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT SPARTANBURG (about 38 miles; SPARTANBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,041)