According to topschoolsintheusa, Gary, South Dakota is a small rural town in the northeastern part of the state. With a population of about 500 people, Gary is one of the smallest towns in South Dakota. The town is situated on the James River and is surrounded by rolling hills and farmland. The climate in Gary is generally mild, with cold winters and warm summers.
Gary’s history dates back to 1883 when it was first established as a small farming community. Over the years, Gary has remained relatively unchanged with many of its original buildings still standing today. Politically, Gary is a non-partisan town with no current mayor or city council members.
The economy of Gary revolves mainly around agriculture and local businesses such as grocery stores and restaurants. The town also has a number of schools including an elementary school, middle school, high school, and vocational school all located within city limits.
When it comes to landmarks, there are several places to visit in Gary including the historic James River bridge which was built in 1918 and remains open to traffic today. Additionally, there are several parks located within the city limits that offer plenty of recreational activities for visitors such as camping, fishing, hiking trails, picnic areas and playgrounds for children. Finally, there is also an annual festival held each summer that celebrates all that makes Gary unique from its history to its culture to its people.
Population: 231. Estimated population in July 2020: 212 (-8.2% change)
Males: 110 (47.6%), Females: 121 (52.4%)
Zip code: 57237
Median resident age: 52.5 years
Median household income: $20,962
Median house value: $16,100
Races in Gary:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.6%)
Ancestries: German (58.9%), Norwegian (31.2%), English (12.6%), Irish (10.0%), Swedish (8.2%), Danish (5.2%).
Elevation: 1483 feet
Land area: 0.7 square miles
Gary, South Dakota is a small town located in the heart of the Black Hills. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of only 881 residents. The majority of Gary’s population is white, with around 93% identifying as such. The remaining 7% is made up of mostly Native American and Hispanic populations.
The cost of living in Gary is relatively low compared to other cities in South Dakota. The median home cost is $181,200 and the median rent for a two-bedroom apartment is $890 per month. Utilities are also relatively inexpensive when compared to other towns in the state. Food costs are slightly higher than average, but overall living expenses remain low due to Gary’s small size and lack of major industry or attractions. Property taxes are also low, making it an attractive place for those on a budget. In addition, there are many outdoor activities available in and around Gary that can provide entertainment without breaking the bank. Hiking trails, fishing spots, and scenic drives are all within reach for those who call this small town home.
For population 25 years and over in Gary
- High school or higher: 73.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.1%
- Unemployed: 1.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 13.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gary city
- Never married: 12.7%
- Now married: 58.5%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 22.4%
- Divorced: 6.3%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -43 (-15.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Gary:
- SIOUX VALLEY CANBY CAMPUS (about 13 miles; CANBY, MN)
- DEUEL COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSP &CLINIC-CAH (about 17 miles; CLEAR LAKE, SD)
- HENDRICKS COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; HENDRICKS, MN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gary:
- BROOKINGS MUNI (about 43 miles; BROOKINGS, SD; Abbreviation: BKX)
- WATERTOWN MUNI (about 49 miles; WATERTOWN, SD; Abbreviation: ATY)
- JOE FOSS FIELD (about 87 miles; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Abbreviation: FSD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gary:
- MYERS FIELD (about 16 miles; CANBY, MN; Abbreviation: 27D)
- CLEAR LAKE MUNI (about 16 miles; CLEAR LAKE, SD; Abbreviation: 5H3)
- MADISON-LAC QUI PARLE COUNTY (about 24 miles; MADISON, MN; Abbreviation: DXX)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gary:
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 38 miles; BROOKINGS, SD; Full-time enrollment: 7,353)
- SOUTHWEST STATE UNIVERSITY (about 53 miles; MARSHALL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,405)
- RIDGEWATER COLLEGE (about 101 miles; WILLMAR, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,711)
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE COLLEGE OF SCIENCE (about 103 miles; WAHPETON, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,176)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA (about 141 miles; VERMILLION, SD; Full-time enrollment: 6,014)
- MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MOORHEAD (about 145 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 6,400)
- CONCORDIA COLLEGE AT MOORHEAD (about 145 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,771)
Library in Gary:
- GARY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $4,874; 12,128 books; 36 audio materials; 35 video materials; 1 serial subscriptions)