Brownsville, Oregon is a small city located in the western part of Linn County. It is situated in the Willamette Valley and has a population of approximately 2,000 people. The climate in Brownsville is generally mild and temperate, with cool winters and warm summers. The area receives an average of 39 inches of precipitation each year, with most of it falling during the winter months. Check Ehangzhou for best time to travel to Oregon.
The history of Brownsville dates back to the mid-19th century when it was founded as a small farming community. Today, the city has grown to include several businesses and services, including a grocery store, pharmacy, and several restaurants.
Politically speaking, Brownsville is part of Oregon’s 5th Congressional District and is represented by Democrat Kurt Schrader in Congress. At a local level, the city has its own mayor as well as a five-member City Council that meets monthly to discuss issues affecting Brownsville residents.
The economy of Brownsville is mostly agricultural-based with many local farmers growing hay, wheat, corn and other crops on their land. In addition to farming operations there are also several small businesses located within the city limits such as auto repair shops, restaurants and retail outlets.
The schools located in Brownsville are part of the Greater Albany Public School District which serves students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. The district operates seven elementary schools within its boundaries along with one middle school and one high school for grades nine through twelve.
As for landmarks located in or near Brownsville there are several that stand out including Old Town Hall (built in 1871), Pioneer Park (founded in 1855) and Brownsville Museum (built in 1874). These landmarks provide visitors with an interesting glimpse into life during this period of Oregon’s history which makes them popular attractions for visitors to explore when visiting this charming little town nestled away in Oregon’s Willamette Valley region.
Population: 1,449. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,517 (+4.7% change)
Males: 732 (50.5%), Females: 717 (49.5%)
Zip code: 97327
Median resident age: 36.9 years
Median household income: $35,486
Median house value: $123,300
Races in Brownsville:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.8%)
- American Indian (4.2%)
- Two or more races (3.7%)
- Hispanic (2.1%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (21.4%), United States (16.8%), Irish (12.4%), English (11.0%), French (5.2%), Dutch (4.1%).
Elevation: 356 feet
Land area: 1.3 square miles
Brownsville, Oregon is a small town of approximately 1,500 people located in the Willamette Valley. It is surrounded by rolling hills and lush green farmland. The town is known for its friendly atmosphere and strong sense of community. The population is largely comprised of families and retirees, with a median age of 44.5 years old. The median household income is just over $47,000, making it an affordable place to live for many people.
The cost of living in Brownsville is quite low compared to other areas in the state. Housing costs are especially affordable, with the median home price hovering around $200,000. This makes Brownsville an attractive destination for those looking to purchase their first home or downsize into something more manageable as they enter retirement age. Utilities also tend to be lower than average due to the small population size and lack of large industry in the area. Overall, Brownsville offers a great quality of life at an affordable price point that appeals to many different types of people looking for a safe and friendly place to call home.
For population 25 years and over in Brownsville
- High school or higher: 81.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.8%
- Unemployed: 8.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Brownsville city
- Never married: 17.4%
- Now married: 59.7%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 14.8%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +178 (+14.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Brownsville:
- MID VALLEY HEALTHCARE/LEBANON (about 13 miles; LEBANON, OR)
- SAMARITAN ALBANY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; ALBANY, OR)
- MCKENZIE-WILLAMETTE HOSPITAL, INC (about 23 miles; SPRINGFIELD, OR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Brownsville:
- CORVALLIS MUNI (about 22 miles; CORVALLIS, OR; Abbreviation: CVO)
- MAHLON SWEET FIELD (about 25 miles; EUGENE, OR; Abbreviation: EUG)
- MCNARY FLD (about 35 miles; SALEM, OR; Abbreviation: SLE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Brownsville:
- LEBANON STATE (about 10 miles; LEBANON, OR; Abbreviation: S30)
- ALBANY MUNI (about 18 miles; ALBANY, OR; Abbreviation: S12)
- HOBBY FIELD (about 33 miles; CRESWELL, OR; Abbreviation: 77S)
Amtrak station near Brownsville:
- 19 miles: ALBANY (110 SW 10TH AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Brownsville:
- LINN-BENTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 19 miles; ALBANY, OR; Full-time enrollment: 3,057)
- OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 24 miles; CORVALLIS, OR; Full-time enrollment: 15,404)
- UNIVERSITY OF OREGON (about 25 miles; EUGENE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 16,239)
- LANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 29 miles; EUGENE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 5,853)
- WESTERN OREGON UNIVERSITY (about 36 miles; MONMOUTH, OR; Full-time enrollment: 4,209)
- WILLAMETTE UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; SALEM, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,325)
- CHEMEKETA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 42 miles; SALEM, OR; Full-time enrollment: 5,253)
Public high school in Brownsville:
- CENTRAL LINN ALTERNATIVE EDUCATION (Students: 9; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private primary/middle school in Brownsville:
- BROWNSVILLE ACADEMY (Students: 79; Location: PO BOX 698; Grades: 1 – 11)
Library in Brownsville:
- BROWNSVILLE COMMUNITY LIBRARY (Operating income: $50,037; Location: 146 SPALDING; 15,909 books; 257 audio materials; 31 serial subscriptions)